If you're going to a BBQ, and need to bring a summery side dish, this is a good one (and it doesn't really need to be kept cold!). Or, if you just think black beans, fresh corn and cilantro are absolutely amazing together, you should try this!
Here is what you'll need:
- 3 large ears of corn (or 2-3 cups of frozen corn, if you cannot get fresh)
- one 29 oz can black beans (or you can use two 12.5 - 15 oz cans, or dried beans you cook up yourself)
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 handful cilantro
- 1/2 red onion
- optional - 1 red pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Olive oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cloves crushed, minced garlic
- juice of 2 limes
Shake until combined and set aside to let the flavors blend.
Bring a large pot of water to boil. Schuck the corn removing all the hairs and boil for 2 minutes. Remove and rinse in cold water. (You could also grill the corn for an added flavor)
Chill in the fridge for a few hours to let the flavors combine. T
his will keep for a week and make a great weekday lunch. You could throw some grilled shrimp on top or some rotisserie chicken to make a complete meal.