Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Shrimp/Carne Asada Tacos

A few days ago, we made a 3 lb. Carne Asada Tri Tip.
(That's Jaxon in the picture, he could not wait to eat it!)




Marinade:

• 1/2 cup olive oil
• 1/4 cup white vinegar
• juice of 2 limes
• juice of 2 lemons
• handful of chopped cilantro
• 2 jalapenos, chopped
• 12 cloves garlic
• 1 tablespoon salt
• 1 tablespoon pepper
• 4 tablespoon chile powder
• 1 tablespoon cumin
• 1 teaspoon onion powder
• 1 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1 teaspoon sugar

Muddle together all but the oil, vinegar, lemon and lime juice. Transfer to a mason jar, add wet ingredients and shake well. Add to your meat (hmmm, maybe veggies too!!) This will marinade about 4 lbs. of meat. (Chicken, beef, fish, shrimp... whatever you like!)

We had extra marinade, so I threw some jumbo shrimp in the marinade, let it sit for a few hours and tossed it in the freezer.

Today, I decided I wanted shrimp tacos!!

With the left over tri tip, I diced it and simmered in beer while the rest of the meal was cooking. (PBR, but you can use your favorite beer.)

I thawed the shrimp so I could grill it - it smelled SOOOO good!
While I continued with the indoor prep, Nate started the grill and cooked the shrimp, about 5 minutes is all it took.

I made homemade tortillas with the help of the 3 year old, Jaxon... he kept asking me "Am I your tortilla man?" So cute!




I made fresh mango salsa:
• 1 fresh mango, diced
• 1/2 cucumber, diced
• 1 jalapeno, chopped
• small handful cilantro, chopped
• juice of 2 limes
• salt and pepper to taste


I made avocado cream:
• 2 small avocados, mashed
• 1/4 cup light sour cream
• 1 tablespoon ranch powder
• juice of 1 lime
• salt and pepper to taste

I julienned red cabbage and shredded cheese for taco toppings, you can do onion and tomato too, I just used what was in the fridge. I prefer cojita, but we had cheddar, so that is what I used. :)

Then we assembled tacos!!!!

Shrimp:



Carne Asada:



These were fabulous!

I finished out the meal with left over Spanish rice and beans - recipe to come later.

And, you can't have amazing authentic tacos without.... margaritas!!!



Good-night!

~Candy

1 comment:

  1. I am loving your food blog Candy .

    ReplyDelete