Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Sesame Garlic Asparagus

This is one of my favorite side dish/appetizers!

The first person who introduced me to is was my friends mom in California. They invited us over for Christmas Eve dinner back in 2007, we had drinks and appetizers and felt so at home in their home! She made this fantastic asparagus, and gave me the recipe. I'm not sure how close to hers this really is, as I don't write things down, I'm sure I have changed it over the years, and if I do write a recipe down, I never really  follow it! But none the less, it reminds me of her, and is oh so good!

Thank you, Kim Beltjens!


It is so, simple, and so pretty, and so delicious!!!




What you will need:

  • 1 bunch of asparagus 
  • 1 teaspoon sesame oil
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon shredded Parmesan cheese
  • optional - sesame seeds for garnish
Take the asparagus - this dish is best with really really thin asparagus, but get whatever you like - and snap off the tough ends.

Bring a pot of water to boil on the stove. Also, get a big bow of ice water ready nearby.

When the water has come to a rolling boil, drop the asparagus in.

**ONLY LET IT BOIL FOR 1 MINUTE, MAX!!!**
You want it to still be crisp, just slightly softer than raw.

Remove the asparagus and immediately dunk in into the ice water to stop the cooking process.

Combine the sesame oil, soy sauce, and garlic. Toss with the drained asparagus.
Arrange on a serving platter.
Top with freshly grated Parmesan cheese, using a micro-plane if you have one, so it is very thin.
You can also garnish with toasted sesame seeds.



*This might also be yummy with a little lemon zest... hmmm...

Enjoy!



~Candy

No comments:

Post a Comment