Sunday, March 15, 2015

Corned Beef Hash for 50? Ummm... OK!

I regularly take a pan and some supplies to work and cook myself breakfast. Usually, I'll take whatever we had for dinner the night before - some leftover quinoa or brown rice, along will some veggies, like asparagus, Brussels sprouts or mushrooms - I will heat them and top with a sprinkle of cheese. Then fry an egg and put that right on top. In my book, you can call anything breakfast if it has a egg on top!

And every time, I have co-workers saying "where's mine?" and "hey, aren't you going to share?" So, awhile back, on a whim, I said "I could cook corned beef hash and eggs for St. Patty's day" - our manager heard this and said he'd cover the cost if I cooked for the whole branch - so fast forward to today, I just finished prepping corned beef hash for 50 people.


I think it's time for a Guinness!




Happy St. Patty's Day!!!
How much corned beef hash do you need for 50 people, you ask?

A LOT!!!

We went to Costco on Friday and bought most of the ingredients:

  • 20 lbs of red potatoes
  • 18 lbs of corned beef
  • 10 lbs of onions
  • 16 red peppers
  • 4 lbs of butter
  • 10 dozen eggs

YIKES!

We also picked up:

  • chopped garlic
  • kosher salt
  • beef broth
  • Guinness
  • cheddar cheese
  • biscuits
  • orange juice

First, I filled a LARGE pot with cold water, 1 can of Guinness, 2 cups of brewed coffee and 2 packets of corned beef seasoning - the ones that come in the corned beef.

I boiled them two at a time for about an hour (I was cooking 4). 
And, I didn't take any pictures! Sorry!


While they were cooking, I filled a 10 gallon food grade bucket about 1/3 full of water and commenced dicing 20 lbs of potatoes. I put them in the water to keep them from turning brown and to remove some of the starch.

I diced about 8 lbs of onion and all of the red peppers, then I diced all the cooked corn beef, removing the excess fat as I went.


Whew!

I took 1 package of the pickling spices and crushed them in the mortar & pestal, along with peppercorns and then added it to 1/4 cup kosher salt.



I also mixed 4 cups of beef broth with a can of Guinness.


Then, I cooked!!

I put 2 tablespoons butter in a 16" skillet.


Along with 4 cups of diced corn beef.


2 cups of onion, 1 1/2 cups red pepper, a heaping tablespoon of garlic.


6 cups of potatoes, 3/4 cup of the beer/broth mixture and 2 teaspoons of the seasoning mixture.


I cooked this on high until the potatoes were softened most of the way and the liquid was cooked off.



I transferred to a large chaffing dish and did it all again until everything was cooked.


I ended up with 3 large chaffing dishes and a small pan without meat in it, for the vegetarians, I also used only Guinness on that batch, no beef broth.



Of course, you can make this in a much smaller scale for yourself! Just follow the per skillet recipe :)

Now, I'll be baking rolls - about 100 - tomorrow evening, then heating this all up as I am scrambling 10 dozen eggs on Tuesday morning to feed a hungry crew of 50 co-workers, and probably a few customers, too!


I'll update the post afterward to let you know how it all goes!

Wish me luck!!


Update - break fast was AMAZING! Everyone loved it!

Here are the eggs a cooked up the morning of (10 dozen of them! ):


And here are the biscuits, precooked, but still great! 




~Candy





2 comments: